Fatal Car Accidents in Brooksville FL

Contact the Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC today for a free consultation if you or a loved one was involved in a fatal car crash.

Legal Representation in Florida Car Wrecks

The unexpected loss of a loved one in a car crash can be devastating, and have a long-term emotional and financial impact on the surviving family members. The auto accident lawyers in Brooksville, FL at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC can provide the legal representation you need if your family member died in a car crash. Our attorneys have substantial experience representing victims in car wreck and wrongful death claims. With more than 50 years of combined legal experience and caring client service, our lawyers can help you hold those responsible for your relative’s death accountable for their actions. Please give us a call to see how we can help.

Deadly Florida Car Crashes

Car crash victims can suffer catastrophic injuries that can lead to death. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported 2,424 traffic fatalities in Florida in 2012. Fifty-four percent of those killed were vehicle drivers or passengers. Pedestrians accounted for 20 percent of traffic-related deaths. Alcohol was involved or suspected in 697 fatalities. Certain types of car accidents may be more fatal than others. The front of the car was the initial point of impact in 58 percent of cars involved in a fatal Florida accident in 2011, according to NHTSA data.

Liability for a Fatal Car Crash

If your relative was involved in a fatal car crash, you may be able to hold those responsible for the accident liable through a claim for wrongful death. Under Florida’s Wrongful Death Act, certain immediate family members may seek damages for the loss of a loved one if the death was the result of someone else’s negligence or misconduct. If the deceased had survived, he or she would have had the right to file a personal injury suit. Since the victim died, however, the state allows family members to shift the losses they sustained as a result of the victim’s death to the party responsible for causing the victim’s fatal injuries.

As a plaintiff, you must be able to show that the defendant is liable for your loved one’s death to succeed in your claim. You can show liability in a negligence claim by demonstrating that:

  • The defendant owed the victim a duty of reasonable care;
  • The defendant breached his or her duty of care (by speeding, for example);
  • The violation caused the victim’s death; and
  • Damages were suffered as a result.

The time you have to file a wrongful death claim in Florida is shorter than that for filing a personal injury suit. Most personal injury suits based have a four-year statute of limitations, but wrongful death claims have a two-year statute of limitations. By taking action soon after your loved one’s accident, you can protect your right to assert a claim based on wrongful death.

Recovering Damages and Compensation for a Fatal Car Crash

A wrongful death claim allows you to recover damages for the death of your loved one. If you establish the defendant’s liability, you can obtain both economic and non-economic damages. You can seek compensation for your relative’s medical, funeral, and burial expenses. Depending on whether you are a spouse, minor child, or parent, you may also be able to seek compensation for lost support and services, loss of companionship and protection, loss of parental companionship, and pain and suffering.

Experienced Fatal Car Crash Legal Advocacy

The accident lawyers in Brooksville at Holliday Karatinos Law Firm, PLLC can help you if your family member died in a Florida car crash. Our attorneys have more than 50 years of combined legal experience in personal injury law. We have helped countless families seek just compensation from the parties responsible for the loss of their loved ones in a car accident. We provide our clients with compassionate, caring service, while tenaciously advocating for their interests. We serve clients throughout Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties, and other neighboring areas. Please give us a call or reach us online to arrange a no-obligation free consultation with one of our attorneys today.

Memberships & Recognitions